Monday, August 18, 2008

Gyoza or Japanese Potstickers - Appetizers #3

When I lived in Japan I practicly lived off of Gyoza, Raman and many other wonderful foods. Oh and it was not the Raman we know here in the States but so much more with freash meats and vegatables. Back to the Gyoza. These are basically fried dumplings. They orginated in China which mostly steams theirs. Also Gyoza has more garlic than your classic Chinese dumplings. Believe me you will love these!

1/3 cup chopped cabbage (boiled)
2 tbsp chopped green onion
1/2 pound ground pork
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
20 gyoza wrappers you could substitute with won ton skins but it is a thicker skin.
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients other than oil in a bowl and mix well with your hands. Place the wrappers on a cookie sheet or non-stick surface and put the gyoza together one at a time or the wrapper dough dries out. Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper, moisten half of the edge and fold over. Make sure you press all the air out as you pinch the edges together, and then push gently down to make them lie flat.

Heat oil in a frying pan. Put gyoza in the pan and fry on high heat until the bottoms become brown. Turn down the heat to low. Add 1/4 cup water in the pan. Cover the pan and steam the gyoza on low heat until the water is gone. Some Japanese also deep fry them.

Now you have to have a dipping sauce which just makes these even better.

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbs sesame oil - I prefer a spicy version.
1 tsp minced garlic








Your Ad Here

2 comments:

mikky said...

will try your recipe soon... maybe i'll add a little sugar and spring onion in the dipping sauce thanks for sharing... :)

Foodycat said...

I love gyoza! I've never made my own though. I am scared - I really don't think I could get those little pleats that you manage!