Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arugula and Fontina Frittata

Again Iw as thinking about what to post about. I have plenty of dinner and lunch recipes even a few snacks and desserts. What i do not have is what many consider the most important meal of the day. Now I do not normally eat breakfast during the week because I like my sleep, sometimes a little too much, so I am running around getting ready for work and out the door before I even realize I am awake. But on weekends I do like to get up and have a nice breakfast with the family.

I am always trying to make something different each weekend. Omlettes, Scrambled eggs Biscuts and gravy you name it we will eat it. We really do not like the same thing so I have a few curveballs to throw into our breakfast menu and this is a good one.

1 garlic clove, halved
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
5 oz baby arugula (7 cups packed)
6 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 lb Fontina, rind discarded and cheese cut into
1/2-inch cubes

Preheat broiler.

Cook the garlic in olive oil in a 10-inch well-seasoned cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 2 minutes. Discard the garlic because you just wanted the flavor and add the arugula, then cook, stirring frequently, until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.

Whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper until combined, then pour over arugula in skillet and cook, undisturbed, over moderate heat until almost set, 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top and broil 4 to 5 inches from heat until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.






1 comments:

Foodycat said...

Nice work! All the indulgence of a weekend breakfast but it actually looks kind of healthy too!